The West Room at Cragend Grange is an historical place, with over a century of graffiti written on the lime washed walls beneath the paint work.
The graffiti relates to the farm and to Cragside and the people who lived and worked here. There are over 500 inscriptions and many drawings.
It has been catalogued and photographed and the pictures are here on record, and we have also printed some in frames around the room.
It has high barn ceilings that have old tin lids nailed on to the beams which we decided to keep as a momento of previous farming times.
If you would like to stay in this room please contact us for further details or use our booking button.
During the renovation of the barns into a house (domestic dwelling) the writings on the walls of the building were catalogued and photographed by a group of Archaeologists headed up by Dr Gillian Scott, who were able to list in chronological order dating from 1880's the writings on the lime washed walls, mainly in the Granary upstairs. We decided to leave the writings and drawings intact and they are now safely protected behind stud walls. Before encasing the graffiti, much of it which was First and Second World War related, we all wrote our names on the walls, everyone from the builders to our our children, for future historic investigation.
Find Out More About Cragend
Cragend Farm has a interesting and diverse history, from technical innovations to historic buildings. Tied in closely to the neighbouring Cragside Estate home of Victorian inventor and industrialist Lord Armstrong.